You are a woman. Your monthly period is late. You know why. You are not sick. You are pregnant. And you don’t want to be pregnant. Being pregnant means that in a few months you will have a baby. And you don’t want a baby. Especially you don’t want this baby. You don’t want a baby at this time.
It doesn’t fit into your programme. It doesn’t fit because of one or more reasons.
- Perhaps you are still at school. You are busy with your studies. You don’t want a baby now.
- Perhaps you don’t have a husband. There is no-one to help you care for a baby.
- Perhaps the father of this child is not your husband. So you don’t want his baby.
- Perhaps you already have several children. You think that another one would be too many.
- Perhaps you feel you are too old to have a baby now.
So you would like an abortion. And you think the doctor or nurse can help you to have an abortion.
But there are some things we would like you to know. Please read this carefully, and take time to think seriously about it. It is very important indeed.
- Being pregnant is not like having a disease which can be treated and got rid of. You have a new life inside you. There is a baby inside. It is not just a clot of blood – it is a living person. Even when it has only been in the womb for a few weeks, it already has eyes and a mouth, a heart that is beating, fingers and toes.
- God has made this child that is in you. You are the one who had a relationship with a man. But God is the one who created the new life. This is your child. But more importantly it is God’s child.
- Having an abortion means destroying a life. It means destroying a baby. It means killing. And killing is wrong. It is very wrong. That is why we will not help you to have an abortion. We will not help you to do something which is so very wrong.
- Abortion often leads to sickness and sometimes to death. We see patients in the hospital who have already had an abortion in their village. When they come to us they are very sick. Some of them get better with treatment. But some die. Those who don’t die are often left with pain which continues to trouble them. Some women who have had abortions become sterile and can never become pregnant again. Others, who are not left with any physical pain, have continuing mental worries. The fact that they have done evil keeps coming back to their minds to trouble them.
- So we urge you not to seek an abortion. Don’t do it.
- It is wrong before God. The Bible says “You shall not murder” Ex. 20:13
- It will bring on you the punishment of God. The Bible says “The wages of sin is death” Rom.6:23
- It will take you to hell. The Bible says “But the murderers, the sexually immoral, and all liars – their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulphur. This is the second death” Rev.21:8
Dear woman, this message may seem very strong to you. But we have more to say. Perhaps what we have already said has been very hard. But what we want to say now is Good News. Even if you have done something very wrong, there is Good News for you. Even if you think that your life is in a terrible mess, there is Good News for you.
All of us in this world have gone wrong. We have all gone our own ways. We have all wandered away from God’s way.
But God is a God of love. He is a God of compassion and mercy. He does not want us to continue in the way we are going now. He wants to rescue us. He wants to bring us back to Himself. He wants to forgive all that is past and give us a new start in life.
That is why God sent His Son Jesus into the world. He came to seek and to save the lost. He came to die on the cross. When He died on the cross, He was carrying in His body all our sins. He was taking upon Himself all of God’s punishment against our sin.
So here is what you need to do now:
- You need to see that you have done wrong, that you are guilty before God. You are guilty of wanting to kill the baby which is in your womb. There are many other wrong things that you have thought or said or done. You need to come to God in prayer and ask Him to forgive you. Ask Him to take away your sin. Ask Him to forgive you. Ask Him to change your heart. Ask Him to give you a new start. Ask Him to save you.
- Then commit yourself, before God, to looking after this baby. Commit yourself to caring for it, loving it and bringing it up. Ask God’s help for this. You cannot do it yourself.
If you truly repent of your sins and trust in Jesus, He will forgive you. He will save you. He will be with you every day to help you in everything you do.
Good News Tracts,
Hopitaly Vaovao Mahafaly,
BP 12, Mandritsara 415, Madagascar